Friday, March 6, 2020

The Future of Storytelling - reflection post

A.
Shonda Rhimes said that she doesn't think the human need to to tell, hear and share stories will ever change. I haven't heard it put this way before, but Rhimes' opinion rings true when you look at how quickly platforms like YouTube, Snapchat and Tiktok have caught on. Many of us are searching for ways to share our experiences with others and to feel truly heard.
B.
Rhimes also said that she avoids watching television while she's working on a season of one of her shows- even though there's a lot of great content out there- because she doesn't want other stories to creep into her own creations. As a creative writer I can appreciate this because I frequently have to catch myself from sliding into another author's idea of what good storytelling is. The whole point of my writing is to express my views, my imagination.

C. 
The future of digital storytelling will continue to evolve and become more sophisticated. We have already reached a point where we can monetize digital stories by sharing them with a wide audience. While I believe that digital storytelling will still be a part of our daily lives in the next decade, I doubt it will be as profitable for the average person as it is today. The market is oversaturated and ultimately unsustainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Future of Storytelling - reflection post

A. Shonda Rhimes said that she doesn't think the human need to to tell, hear and share stories will ever change. I haven't heard...